The Major Causes of Inflammation
Calais Irwin, RMT
Registered Massage Therapist
The most common understanding and experience we have of inflammation is the pain, redness and swelling that we often associate with an injury. Chronic or inappropriate inflammatory response however, can cause cell destruction and lead to disease or autoimmunity. In the brain this can lead to Alzheimer’s. Chronic inflammation in the gut and liver can lead to poor detoxification, causing eczema as well as autoimmune diseases such as Lupus and Multiple Sclerosis. Even cancer has been linked to chronic inflammation. In fact many scientists now believe that most, if not all, chronic diseases have the same cause, inflammation.
What can we do about it?
First we need to identify the causes of inflammation
- Injury – Inflammation is a natural process that aids in healing the body after an injury. This process causes swelling which immobilizes the joint and allows rest. However prolonged swelling can cause damage to the cells in the area.
- Emotional Stress or Trauma – Can cause the release of cortisol, which is our “fight or flight” hormone. It comes from the adrenal gland and causes your blood vessels to dilate. Stress and depression can also enhance the release of an inflammatory substance known as cytokines which regulate the immune systems response to infection or injury.
- Poor Diet – Our immune system is regulated in our digestive tract. When we eat a meal high in sugar, saturated fats - or that is highly processed, our digestive systems need to work extra hard to digest it. When your GI tract is over worked it can lead to inflammation.
- Allergies – When an allergic reaction occurs it’s your immune system over reacting to a foreign substance. Your body releases histamine, a chemical that protects the body. If left unchecked it can contribute to autoimmune diseases.
- Infection – When pathogens such as yeast, viruses, bacteria or parasites enter our body, they attack triggering an immune response that causes inflammation.
This is a small list of the many causes of inflammation in the body. Massage Therapy has been proven to reduce stress and prevent injury. Massage Therapists are also trained in treating injury to help reduce inflammation and increase movement. Naturopathic Doctors have many tools at their disposal as well as specialized tests that can help identify allergies ranging from food and food additive sensitivities, to environmental allergies. Once the type of allergy is diagnosed, they are able to coach you on how to improve your diet, optimize your health and decrease toxicity.
Please call us at 905.465.4595 for more information and to book your appointment.
For pricing information
Oakworks Boiance Face Rest Pillow
Now in our Massage Therapy rooms ~ The Oakworks Boiance Face Rest!
A revolutionary design makes the Boiance™ Face Cradle Pillow one of the most comfortable massage table accessories on the market today. The union of ultra comfortable padding and water spheres combine to deliver an exceptional feeling of comfort and relaxation. The Boiance™ Face Cradle Pillow also features a unique, very open space to avoid all pressure on the eyes and sinus cavities.
Have You “Liked” Us?
|Have you “Liked” us on Facebook? Are you following us on Twitter? Click these links to connect with our online community where you will find tips for living well straight from our Chiropractor, Naturopath and Registered Massage Therapists! Join us online and stay in the know about upcoming workshops and events. We look forward to seeing you on Facebook and Twitter!
Health & Wellness: Shop In-Store or Online!
purchasing the gift of health couldn't be any easier!
Gift certificates may be purchased over the phone or
online for any dollar amount, and can be sent to you
by regular mail or email within 2 business days.
|enVy - The Anti-Aging Wellness Pillow
The revolutionary new anti-aging/wellness pillow helps maintain cosmetic procedures and reduce sleep induced wrinkles and facial compression. As well, it offers health and wellness by promoting the perfect night's sleep, proper neck support and spinal alignment.